The Leadership Qualities, Skills and Style of Jack Ma will be discussed and elaborated step by step in this post.
Jack Ma is a fascinating example of a successful leader. His real name is Ma Yun who born September 10, 1964. He is a Chinese business magnate who is the founder and executive chairman of Alibaba Group. Alibaba is a successful Internet based business. Ma intended to use the influence of internet & Alibaba to facilitate more globalized trades across the borders beyond China and to help SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) across the world. In 2014, he was ranked as the 30th most powerful person in the world in an annual ranking according to Forbes. Asian Award honored him with the Entrepreneur of the Year award in 2015. And in 2017, Fortune ranked Ma second on its World’s 50 Greatest Leaders list. Jack Ma became the richest man in Asia at the age of 50 but he is not doing business just for the money. Rather he is on a mission to change the way business is done in China, gives the country its heart back, and take over the e-commerce world. For making this happen Jack Ma had to be a leader possessing great qualities, skills, and styles in him. His fascinating leadership qualities, skills, and styles made him possible to turn his dream true.
Leadership Qualities, Skills and Style of Jack Ma
He possesses illustrious leadership qualities, skills, and styles, some of which are being discussed here.
1. Be an Authentic Leader: Ma possesses a strong sense of character which helps him build loyalty and strong foundation on which his business Alibaba grows. Ma states that leaders do not have to sacrifice our sense of humor just because they are in charge.
2. See through Customers’ Eyes: Ma runs e-commerce business and he got his success being not a “Tech Guy” rather he views his products through his customers’ eyes. This quality helps his business to provide best services.
3. Develop a Mission: Jack Ma possesses a prolong & grand mission. And his mission is to regenerate China’s sense of purpose and culture which were lost under Mao Zedong’s rule. Ma has given his employees generous equity shares so they get to benefit from Alibaba’s success too.
4. He Unites People under a Single Goal: Ma knew that it is not possible to convince every single employee, business partner and investor to trust him or to listen to him no matter how hard he tries. Accepting this and changing the approach is another quality and skill of his success. He unites them under a common goal rather than uniting them under his own supervision. This is a company goal rather than a leader’s goal.
5. He Hires People with Superior Skills: Hiring employees with super skills makes Ma’s company successful. When he was asked what separates a leader from an employee he said, “Your employee should have superior technical skills than you. If he doesn’t, it means you have hired the wrong person.”
6. He is Tenacious: Jack Ma is a leader with having a tenacity and clear vision. He says that leaders should be tenacious and have a clear vision. Ma knows what he wants to achieve and he knows how to chase it down. Ma believes this will bring him success and it will inspire people around him to work hard for achieving the goal.
7. He Defines Failure as Giving Up: This is one of his popular leadership quality and skill that defines him a successful leader. According to Ma, “giving up is the greatest failure. If you go out, try your best and fail to achieve your goal but see it through to the end you are a success.” Maa learns most from hardships and obstacles. Ma never gives up if he fails one thing repeatedly.
His other leadership qualities & skills that he possesses are given below:
- Use your instinct
- Focus on mission, not money
- Know what your business is
- Have a bold long-term vision
- Breathless efforts for achievements
- Inventing the Opportunities
- Expanding the Boundaries
- Empowering Others
- Bonding with Culture and Philanthropy
- He Doesn’t Make Enemies
He follows leadership styles which also help him to run his business in a successful way. He is Democratic Leader since he gives importance of his employees’ ideas. He follows Transformational Leadership style as well by empowering his employees and motivating them to do more to achieve success. He also follows Charismatic Leadership & Visionary Leadership styles.
As leaders, we must cultivate our goals and visions to improve our companies and to improve the lives of our employees. We should incorporate that mission into our cultures and implement it at every level to promote a better world. And this is what Jack Ma does as a leader and gets success at every stride of his business.