Money market has very important roles in modern economies. Because of these roles, it has occupied the central position in the economy. The significance of money market is increasing day by day. In this post we will elaborate 10 Advantages of Money Market in Modern Economy that made it a essential part of any economy.
Definition of Money market
Money market is a market, where financial instruments with high liquidity and very short maturities are traded. Money market mainly used by the people who wants to do borrowing and lending normally for the short term maturities. Money market transactions are mainly happens in large amount which takes place between the companies and different financial institutions rather than the individuals. But, the individuals can invest in small amount in money market funds.
According to Nadler and Shipman, “A money market is a mechanical device through which short term funds are loaned and borrowed through which a large part of the financial transactions of a particular country or world are degraded. A money market is distinct from but supplementary to the commercial banking system.”
Money Market Institutions:
- The Central Bank.
- Commercial Banks.
- Non-bank Financial Intermediaries.
- Discount Houses and Bill Brokers.
- Acceptance Houses.
Money Market Instruments
- Commercial paper.
- Federal funds.
- Eurodollar deposits.
- Banker’s acceptances.
- Negotiable certificates of deposit (CDs).
- Treasury bills.
- Repurchase agreements (repos)
- Municipal notes.
10 Advantages of Money Market in the Modern Economy
There are many advantages of money market and now we are going to discuss 10 of those advantages:
- Financing Trade: Money market plays a very important role in both internal and international trade. Through the bill of exchange the commercial finance is very much available to the traders.
- Provides Funds: Money market provides short-term funds to the both public and private institutions which needs financing for their working capital requirements. Money market do these by discounting trade bills through commercial banks, discount houses, brokers and acceptance houses. By all these the money market helps the development of commerce, industry and trade within and outside the country.
- Profitable Investment: Money market makes it possible for the banks and other financial institutions to use their surplus funds profitably for a short period. These institutions include not only commercial banks and other financial institutions but also large non-financial business corporations, states and local governments.
- Helps Government: The money market helps the government when they borrow short-term funds at a lower interest rates on the basis of treasury bills. On the other hand, if the government were to issue paper money or borrow from the central bank, it would lead to inflationary pressures in the economy.
- Helps in Monetary Policy: A well-developed money market helps in the successful implementation of the monetary policies of the central bank. It is through the money market that the central banks are in a position to control the banking .system and thereby influence commerce and industry.
- Helps in Financial Mobility: Money market makes it easier to transfer various funds from different sector to sector and place to place, these facilities of the money market helps in increasing the financial mobility of the country.
- Promotes Liquidity and Safety: One of the important functions of the money market is that it promotes liquidity and safety of financial assets. It thus encourages savings and investments.
- Equilibrium between Demand and Supply of Funds: The money market brings equilibrium between the demand and supply of loanable funds. The money market does all these by allocating different savings into investment sectors and channels.
- Providing sufficiency to the Commercial Banks: When the commercial banks face any scarcity of money they can recall their old short term loans from money market rather than going to the central bank and borrowing money at a higher interest rate.
- Reducing the Use of Cash: Money market mostly deals with the assets that has very high liquidity. It helps to reduce the use of cash money and it is also safer to move from one place to another.
After all these discussions, it is very clear that money market is so much crucial for a country’s economy. Without the presence of a good money market there is no way to maximize the financial sector of a country.
You May Also Like
Author: Mahfujur Rahman
Mahfujur Rahman is one of the top contributors of GotAbout Business Strategy and Analysis. He has finished his BBA from North South University and currently doing his Masters of Business Administration in Dhaka University. He has a strong interest in Finance and Investment.